Help Prevent Child Abuse
5 Ways You Can Prevent Child Abuse
1: Reach Out to Families + Children
- If you see a family that is struggling, reach out and see how you can help.
be a friend + listen, offer to help with chores, offer to take care of the kids + give the parents a break
- Connect families with appropriate resources + services.
- Be a positive role model to kids — be a big brother or sister, a youth advocate, or a friend.
volunteer at the Prevention Center Playroom, be a Big Brother or Sister, be a foster youth advocate
- Share your struggles with parenting + tips for managing stress.
tips to help stop from lashing out
2: Teach Children Safety Tips
- Make sure your child, and every child, knows what is safe and unsafe.
Read and teach these tips
3: Seek Support
- Parenting is the hardest job you will ever have — it takes a village.
- Don’t expect to know everything about parenting; it’s a learned skill that takes time.
- Call 415-441-KIDS anytime, day or night, for parenting support.
4: Report Suspected Abuse
- Don’t hesitate, if you have a suspicion report it.
- Call the City of San Francisco’s Family + Children’s Services Hotline 415-558-2650
If you are a mandated reporter be sure to tell them.
5: Support Child Abuse Prevention Efforts
- Give your voice, give your time, give whatever you can.
- Lean about volunteer opportunities: http://sfcapc.org/volunteer
- Donate: http://sfcapc.org/donate
- Attend an event: http://sfcapc.org/events
Spread the Word
– I/we protect SF kids by _____________. You can too: http://sfcapc.org/mypart @sfcapc
– Together we can end child abuse in SF. Do your part. http://sfcapc.org/mypart @sfcapc
– Learn how to protect kids + stop #ChildAbuse. http://sfcapc.org/mypart @sfcapc
Sample Facebook Posts:
– We believe that every child deserves a safe + healthy childhood. We’re doing our part to keep San Francisco’s kids safe. Here are some tips to learn how to protect children: http://sfcapc.org/mypart
– It’s the responsibility of every person to protect children. Together we can end child abuse in San Francisco. Learn how to protect kids + stop child abuse: http://sfcapc.org/mypart
More photos on Flickr!
April 4, 2017 @ 11:00 a.m.
Child Abuse Prevention Month Kick-off, City Hall
May 12, 2017 @ 12:00 noon
20th Annual Blue Ribbon Luncheon, Fairmont Hotel