Position Title: Client Care & Program Support Assistant – Temporary
Department: Strategic Partnerships
Reports to: Strategic Partnerships Manager
Location: Work at two locations: 3450 Third Street, 1757 Waller Street
Download a PDF Version of this Posting
About the Organization
The mission of the San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center (Prevention Center) is to prevent child abuse and reduce its devastating impact. The Prevention Center implements a three-prong strategy to end child abuse: (1) providing care directly to children and families through high-quality Children & Family Services; (2) educating the community—children, caregivers, child-serving professionals, and the public—through proven Community Education programs; and (3) coordinating Strategic Partnerships that promote citywide systems improvements and enhance our capacity to protect children, including developing and leading a Children’s Advocacy Center.
The organization has an annual operating budget of approximately $5 million and is supported by approximately 60 staff, interns, and consultants and more than 80 volunteers. The Prevention Center owns one of its buildings, a historic firehouse in the Haight neighborhood of San Francisco, near Golden Gate Park. The organization has a second site on Third Street in San Francisco’s Bayview neighborhood.
The Client Care & Program Support Assistant will provide administrative support to the on-site programs, perform data entry, greet clients, coordinate with staff and partners to meet client needs, monitor reception areas, answer and route agency telephone calls at both Prevention Center locations. Additional possible projects could include establishing a shared Playroom and providing Playroom childcare support at the Children’s Advocacy Center (CAC), located on Third Street.
This is an evolving role, as the Prevention Center is restructuring its Operations Team. The assistant will initially support the Prevention Center’s Third Street Office and will eventually join the future cross organization Operations Team.
- Provide bilingual reception support and back up support to Client Care and Office Coordinator. This role involves providing childcare, answering parents questions, supporting on and off site partners to collaborate to provide high quality services to children and families.
- Maintain tidy waiting room and toy areas.
- Assess problematic situations at reception and contact appropriate staff for assistance as necessary.
- Maintain current supplies of informational material; update flyers and resources as needed.
- Provide information to clients as requested.
- Provide general administrative support to Prevention Center staff, specifically related to our programmatic responsibilities and facility management. This includes supporting the Operations Team to address facility needs, planning meetings and logistics, supporting trainings, etc.
- Responsible for data entry at the direction of Client Services Advocate and Data Manager.
- Take minutes for complex policy, systems change and leadership meetings.
- Answer and direct calls as needed.
- Provide program support to staff educators working in schools. This may include preparing lesson plans, preparing materials, providing support with scheduling and other duties as needed.
- Support provision of training to adults on child abuse through various community education programs. May include lesson work, scheduling and preparing materials.
- Provide support for public awareness campaign work, policy and position development and advocacy work as our organization grows in this area. Duties yet unknown in this area but skill with writing and social media would be a plus.
Children’s Advocacy Center (CAC) Playroom and Waiting Room
With supervision, establish a shared playroom and provide care for children ranging in ages 0-16 years: utilizing non-directive play, art media, and dramatic play to support the children’s social and emotional development.
- Develop and set up the new playroom space. Responsible for ordering supplies and developing policies with support from managers. The playroom is a shared space with two other non-profit agencies.
- Work with children individually and in groups.
- Facilitate in the developmental growth for children by identifying developmental concerns and helping children to improve peer relationships, regulate emotions, and express their needs appropriately.
- Participate in creating an environment where parents are assisted to create and experience shared positive emotions with each of their children.
- Build supportive relationships with parents.
- Maintain a clean and safe environment.
Undertake other duties as assigned.
Essential Requirements & Qualifications
- High proficiency Spanish speaking required, fully bilingual strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in working successfully with children.
- 1-2 years’ experience performing data entry with a high level of accuracy.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and internet research.
- Computer literacy and ease with learning new database systems.
- Limited project management experience or abilities preferred.
- Must pass fingerprint screen to work with children.
- Must show legal evidence of authorization to work in the United States.
- Calm and caring demeanor.
- Must be patient and approachable.
- Must possess exceptional customer service skills.
- Culturally competent.
- Ability to work with high-risk populations.
- Ability to work with a diverse ethnic population.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to assess and calmly manage crisis situations.
- Ability to work in a fast pace and high-pressure environment.
- Organized and efficient.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Growth oriented, flexible and comfortable with ambiguity.
- Desire to step into new and changing roles as programs evolve.
- Flexibility to handle changing priorities and proactively find solutions.
- Dependable, proactive, collaborative and a team player.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Takes initiative and is a fast learner.
- Temporary, full time
- Hours depend upon specific need and may change; full-time positions may be Monday through Friday approximately 9-5 or as assigned by manager.
- Work at both locations: 3450 Third Street and 1757 Waller Street
Typical Working Conditions:
- Heavy keyboard work
- Combination of typical office work and work with children (playroom and outdoors).
- Computer, phone, fax, copier.
Essential Physical Tasks:
- Light lifting required; including lifting of children up to 50 pounds
- Changing of diapers and food preparation
- Answer phones
- Travel within the neighborhood and within San Francisco