Prepare Children Before Trick-or-Treating:
- NEVER allow children to trick-or-treat alone.
- Young children should be with you or another trusted adult.
- Older children should use the buddy system.
- Write down your full name and phone number, and give it to your child.
- Have your child carry a glow stick or flash light.
- Make a plan of where to meet or who to call if your child gets lost.
- Discuss with your child how to cross the street safely.
- Remind your child not to approach a car unless he/she is with you.
- Remind your child that he/she shouldn’t go into a house unless you have given your child permission.
- Warn your child not to approach a house that isn’t well lit.
- Warn your child to scream and run away from anyone who tries to grabhim/her or lure him/her with special treats.
Be a Part of Your Child’s Experience:
- Go with young children to the door of every house they approach.
- Plan your child’s trick-or-treating route, and try to make sure you are familiar with the area and the neighbors.
- Caution children to report strange incidents to a trusted adult.
- Try to inspect all treats before your child eats them, and dispose of anything opened or damaged.
- Have your child wear costumes or masks that are marked as flame resistant.
- Make sure your child is able to see and breathe properly when wearing a mask.
Download a .pdf of the tips.